BEST PRACTICES IN IDENTIFICATION OF BUILDING DEFECTS & MAINTENANCE
By FACE-TO-FACE PUBLIC PROGRAM
13 & 14 Dec 2023 (Every session 9 am- 5pm)
Wed & Thurs
HILTON PETALING JAYA HOTEL
INTRODUCTION FOR BEST PRACTICES IN IDENTIFICATION OF BUILDING DEFECTS & MAINTENANCE
Best Practices In Identification Of Building Defects Maintenance can confidently be said that no building is free from defects, not even a new one. Close Supervision on quality processes will reduce the number of defects & good inspection will reveal any obvious defects.
Building maintenance personnel need to:-
- Understand the roles & responsibilities of a project team in managing maintenance work, the probable causes of defects and the respective possible solutions.
- Understand the fundamentals of building maintenance management & operation.
- Monitor & control operational progress & quality of works.
- Understand & manage the project documents & computer control systems in maintenance management.
A defect refers to the visible evidence of an undesirable condition in the works affecting serviceability, structural condition or appearance. Building maintenance management is basically concerned with the establishment of a framework for the maintenance of buildings, and its role is to set a standard of best practices on the management of building facilities, utilities and the upkeep of the building conditions.
Maintenance covers the work done:
- To keep the building, plant, equipment & machinery in a safe, efficient working condition and in good repair,
- To upkeep all sanitary and welfare facilities, &
- The regular painting & cleaning of walls
The objective of this programme / course is to introduce participants to the various aspects of building services engineering, to improve and develop further the participants appreciation on the safety aspects and also on how to overcome problems etc.
At the end of the programme, participants will be able to:-
- Develop a working knowledge of the various building systems ;
- Differentiate between the different classes of buildings;
- Understand better the design, construction, operations and maintenance requirements of building systems;
- Implement strategies and methodologies to create an effective equipment maintenance programme ;
- Enhance their knowledge and skills to identify and address operational problems at all levels;
- Implement maintenance plans that are cost effective and aligned to the organisation’s strategic goals;
- Improve performance by developing detailed specifications with service partners;
- Establish an effective maintenance team.
Building Maintenance in the current Global Financial Crisis.
- The impact and effects on:-
- Costing and Budgeting;
- Manpower requirements;
- Energy Conservation.
- The impact and effects on:-
Building Services Maintenance – Mechanical
- Fire Protection and Prevention Systems
- Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning Systems
- Cold and Hot Water and Sanitary Plumbing Services
- Vertical Transportation and Escalators
- Building Automation / Control Systems
- Gondola and Building Maintenance Systems
- Water Tanks, Pumps and Ancillary Equipment.
Building Services Maintenance – Electrical
- Low Voltage Systems
- High Voltage Systems
- Standby Generator Sets
- Lightning Arrestors and Protection
- Security Systems
Common Defects Encountered in Buildings
- Air Conditioning – Too Cold or Too Hot
- Poor Water Quality
- Clogging of waste pipes
- Excessive noise and vibrations
- Structural Defects
- Non-M&E Defects
Plant Visit and a Practical Session. To Observe and Study:-
- The methods to assemble/disassemble an equipment
- The common problems encountered whilst repairing
- The methods involved in the replacement of worn/damaged moving parts etc
- Any other operational/maintenance issues.
Operation and Maintenance of the Various Mechanical and Electrical Services
- Common problems encountered in mechanical systems and its counter measures
- Common problems encountered in electrical systems and its counter measures
Types Of Plant Maintenance:-
a) Preventive Maintenance (PM)
- Scope of Work
- Workmanship and Materials
- Supervision and Workforce
- Service and Maintenance Records
- Repair to Defects
- Other Functions
- Operations and Maintenance of the various M&E Services
- Maintenance Schedules for the various M&E Services
Preventive Maintenance (Cont)
- Preventive Maintenance Development
- Preventive Maintenance Work Order dispatch
- Preventive Maintenance Work Order activity
- Facility Maintenance Performance Review
- Inventory Management
- Quality Control Process Flow
- Quality Control
b) Predictive Maintenance (PdM)